Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Say What!?!-Teaching Tact

I am sure none of you have ever experienced this, but let me put it out there anyway. Lately, Aidann has been saying many of her innocent lil' thoughts aloud for all to hear without really understanding that some things are better left unsaid. For example, we were grocery shopping the other day & a woman walked past us wearing a more....revealing shirt & my 3 year old innocently piped up, "Mommy, why is her shirt so small? I can see her breasts! Lets buy her a bigger 1". Oh my goodness, I am sure my face was probably bright red at that point. Should the woman probably be wearing a bigger & more modest shirt? Yes, but that was a lil' piece of truth better left unshared because its really not any of our business. After experiencing a few more instances like that, I decided that I better come up with a way to explain to her about tact on a level she could understand.

We talked about how some things we say could hurt people's feeling whether we mean to or not. I told her that if she had a question about the way something looks, smells, tastes, why a person is doing something or whatever then she could whisper it to me 1st just in case it was something that could hurt someone's feelings. In addition to toddlers saying embarrassing things from time to time, they also just love to stare people so we definitely touched on that too. This whole conversation definitely happened just in the nick of time. Yesterday, we were at the splash pad with a friend & a school of special needs kids were at the park also. I could tell Aidann had a lot of questions & innocently wanted to stare, but instead she motioned for me to come close. "Mommy, why can't they walk like me?". You could tell she made a conscious effort to talk softly & away from where the children could hear. I could tell she was feeling empathic towards them & was really just concerned. I was then able to take a moment & explain things to her on a level that she could understand. Kids are naturally very inquisitive & observant of all the new & interesting things going on around them & that is okay. But learning tact is important too.

What really warmed my heart though was when we were on the way home she said, "Mommy, can we pray for those kids right now?"

-M&M Momma








Aussie sharing a bucket with Maddie


Water up the nose

Yum.




Having fun fillin' buckets!






Ashy & Maddie


Lil' buddie, Aidy & Joshua



After a nice bath, why not push her around the house in a stroller?
Silly lil' girls.









The new spoons she is obsessed with









Sad she has to leave her spoons...

Seriously walked down the hall
to them putting their noses on the wall
for no reason lol


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment