Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Raising Girls, Love This...




I recently came across this empowering commercial on the world wide web a few days ago & loved it. I have the wonderful honor & responsibility of raising 4 lil' ladies myself & from day 1 have definitely done my best to help them be individuals & like whatever they want & not feel limited by the boundaries the world tries to put on them sometimes. They are who God made them & that is such a beautiful thing!

Its amazing how early kiddos are "told" what names are for boys or girls, what colors they are allowed & not allowed to like, the way boys should behave & girls should behave, the type of way they should dress, & what things are deemed as "boy stuff" & "girl stuff". I mean, I noticed, but once I had kiddos of my own I REALLY noticed. I knew my ladies were going to be drawn to a lot of the girlie things out there, there is some awesome stuff, but I also never wanted to feel like they were being "put in a box".

From each of their births, we named them what people would typically call "boy names" that start with "A". All of them started out with a primary color ABC themed nursery filled with all types & colors of toys. From there, my husband & I did our best to refrain from saying things like "boys this...." & "girls that..." & just watched them go towards whatever things they found interesting in life.

Years later, I am absolutely in AWE at how different they all are. My most "girly" is probably my oldest girl, but she can throw down with the very best of them when it comes to sports. Ashy (the 2nd), absolutely adores planes, trains, & automobiles & building is a huge passion of hers, but she can also sing every single song from "Frozen". Its just funny. Their different fashion senses are also starting to come out & that is definitely something amazing to see. I'm not going to pretend I have mastered "the balance", but I just want to raise strong women who aren't afraid to step up & lead & stand up for the things that they believe in. I want them to like things because they actually like them, not just because they are the latest style or trend they feel like they have to follow. Its funny, now they have a boy in their life & we didn't have to rush out & get a lot of "boyish" things because our kids like to play with everything already. I just think its fun & healthy. I think Dr. Seuss said it best "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

Have a wonderful week!

-M&M Momma



Tried writing a post real quick while
this one was waiting on the couch.
Took me a minute to realize she had grabbed
a computer & was mimicking me.


Apparently, I just walked in on some mermaids.
(Stuffed their feet into their pillowcases, lol)



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment