Friday, October 21, 2011

EDU Mini-Leson Plan: Where You Live

Recently, my kids sat & watched my husband get his hair cut at the barber shop. They had seen me get mine done before, but it was a totally new thing watching daddy's hair "disappear". They began to get really curious about the concept of hair salons/barber shops. If you read back a ways, Aidann also had her 1st haircutting experience somewhat recently too. Well, it just so happened that 1 of the gifts they received for their birthday was an actual salon chair!!! So, I set up a mini salon for them in 1 of the playrooms complete with magazines to read in the waiting area & suckers for after their haircuts were completed. 1st I was the hairstylist (when playing something new/introducing a new concept, it is important that you 1st show them how & then let them try. This is how they learn to play, mimicking). Anyway, after they "signed in", I took my 1st customer. I 1st introduced myself & asked her "what she would like to have done today?". I then put the smock around her neck & mimicked everything a real stylists does down to letting her look in the mirror when finished. I am telling you this thrilled my lil' girls to no end. They especially loved the sucker at the end. This was only implemented because my oldest with the super fantastic memory remembered how she had gotten 1 after her 1st haircut. After doing Asher's hair also, I then left the room for them to try on their own. While peeking around the corner, I tell you it is absolutely amazing how much they pick up on. They where imitating everything I had said & done to the "t". It was so cute.It was from her I thought about how important this next Edu mini-lesson plan is "Community/Neighborhood".There is a huge emphasize on "community" in the younger grades in school. Not only is it important for children to grasp the concept of what & who makes up where they live, but it is also important that kids learn to develop a sense of "community" in the classroom & carry it into their home lives. Community can be defined in several ways: 1) A group of people living in the same locality 2) A group of people having common interests and 3) Sharing, participation, and fellowship.For this lesson plan I think it is best to start by focusing on the 1st definition. You can start out by taking your kiddo on a lil' drive around where you live. Ask them to point out what they see (i.e. Various stores, people, post office, fire station, etc). When you get back home, review once again what they saw & explain how the place in which you guys live is your "community". You can then show them a map of your city & once again emphasize this word & that 1st definition (obviously, change the words of the definition so that it is a level your child can understand. I tell my kids, "Where we live").Next, talk more in depth about the places that make up our community. It would probably be helpful to make a list of like 5 to focus on & start at #1. For my list we are currently doing I have grocery store, hair salon, fire station/police station, bank, post office, doctors office.1st I introduce the place with a story if possible & then I think it is a good idea to actually take your child there to explain it a lil' better. Children are so visual that the trip will really make an impact. Actually take them through the deli section & let them pick out some meat, let them select fresh produce, visit the bakery, actually let them scan their own item if possible, introduce them to a "grocer". A lot of places in your community will be glad to give you a tour. You never know unless you ask. I remember my mom taking me to a grocery store when I was learning this concept & I actually got to go back to where they load & unload stuff in the back of the store & everything. Hands on will help drive it home!After that is complete, nothing is more fun then your kid getting to reenact what they have learned. Set up a grocery store somewhere in the house. If you don't have play food, use real cans & boxes. Explain to them how they get to be the very important person in our community, the grocer. Use pretend money & come & visit their lil' grocery store & buy some things from them. Make it as true to life as possible. Let them even bag your groceries! They will adore it & feel so proud!!! Add in dress up to each loaction reinacted if you can.After your kids learn about what a community is & who contributes in a community, you can begin to move towards what is being a good member of the community? Again, your toddler is not too young to grasp this. If they are already in school or participate in some sort of extra curricular class, you can refer to that for examples. I would tell Aidann, "When you are in swimming lessons, how should you behave to help your teacher?". She would say something of along the lines of "Paying attention, doing what teacher says, making good choices, being nice to each other". That is a great starting point to helping your toddler understand what a good member of community is. You can talk about how in your family everyone has a job to do that makes the whole family run smoother & an overall better place. "Asher, when you put your clothes in the hamper you are helping mommy keep the our house clean". She is "contributing" to our family "community". Get it? Well, I hope this mini-plan goes well for you. Try it, let me know! :)
-M&M Momma












Fake of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment