Friday, May 13, 2011

Practice What You Preach (even when u don't feel like it)

Like every mom, I think my kids are absolutely fantastic. BUT and that is a
big but I am not so naive that I think they are perfect or that I am perfect.
Last night I was really forced to practice what I preach about
consistency several times in a row. Trying my very best not to break a smile
as they attempted a few quite frankly genius stunts. I put the lil' girls
to bed at 6 like always. I really needed to lay down myself & was
definitely expecting them to conk out pretty fast from our busy day----Was I
wrong. 1st I caught the lil' girls standing on Asher's bad (which is by the
window) with their heads ducked under the blinds so they could see the street.
As I tip toed up the stairs I could hear them yelling at the people & cars
outsides as the mimicked real life with their toy cars & people
driving/walking them from 1 side of the window sill to the other. They had been
warned more than once that this type of behavior is not accepted during bedtime
& although I so wanted to let them off easy because it was kind of sweet, I
had to discipline them. Once they had been disciplined, I put them back into each
of their beds & once again reminded them how that is where they are to stay
because it is bedtime. 15 minutes later I once again creeped up the stairs to
check on those to munchkins. They had obviously been out of their beds because
their was a diaper trail stemming from the diaper stacker all the way to
Asher's bed where they now lay trying to put multiple diapers on themselves
& each other. Once again, although I did not feel like correcting them, I
knew I had to. Your kids have to know that every time they choose to make a bad
choice, they are guarantee to receive consequence every time! You are doing
everyone a disservice if you let it be a "hit or miss" thing. Once
again, once they were corrected back to their beds they went. The 3rd time I
went to check on them, I happened to notice Asher not only out of bed, but
standing MUCH noticeably taller near the doorway. The 2 busy girls had managed to
stack various objects from the room to get Aidann taller, who was now boosting
Asher to where she could reach the top of the dresser. As I got closer, I
reflected back on what they possibly could be looking up there for & then
it suddenly hit me! Those mini geniuses were trying to get to the
paddle!!!!??!!!
So often I hear mothers making excuses for their children's behavior,
"They didn't know any better!" & "They are just a
baby!". Well, I tell you that you are HIGHLY underestimating your child's
intellect & you are going to pay for it later. My lil' toddlers are just 1
& 2 but they know just what they are doing! We have to set boundaries &
expectations while they are young before its just too late. I have also heard
parents claim that they will do things right/different when their next kid
comes along. I tell those parents, why not fix the ones you have now 1st? Do
they not deserve better? What makes you think the new child is not going to
conform to the ways of the older children because I guarantee you they will. Is
it going to be harder to change those older ones around that you maybe didn't
always make the best parenting decisions with? Yes, but not impossible! At
least try.
Because of the time I have put in early on, I believe my kids usual call
for less harsh disciplinary action. BUT they are not perfect & do need
reminding at times & do have "off" days. Its my job to not loosen
the reins & to not just except it. New stages & trials will come
because we are all human. They have things to learn & so do I. Raising kids
is definitely not an easy job, but it DOES offer the greatest rewards!
-M&M Momma
Highly recommend
this toy:
Vtech Train


Dinner, spaghetti messes!
Diaper Bandits!
Mural finally done!

No comments:

Post a Comment