Tuesday, May 24, 2011

More Than Just Cereal in the Breakfast Aisle

While shopping with the girls recently, we finally turned down the breakfast aisle where we came across this 4 or 5 year old boy throwing the biggest tantrum I have seen in awhile. This child had "decided" that he no longer wanted to sit in the cart, he didn't want to be carried around, & he also didn't feel like walking. His sister, who must have been 8 years old, was absolutely petrified with embarrassment! The mom tried coddling him, using her stern voice (followed by no real action of discipline), & then eventually resorted to begging him to work with her & please straighten up. The boy kicked & screamed, went dead weight, the whole 9.

My 1st instinct was to immediately turn my cart around, lil' girls & all, & head out of the aisle so that my kids wouldn't have to see it. But then when I really thought about it, I decided that it was something my older girls were going to see eventually, so why not let them see it now in a more controlled way where I could explain it to them. Not every family is always going to conduct themselves under the same rules that we do. They are going to have to learn that although other kids may choose to make certain choices, it doesn't mean they can talk or act that way. It doesn't mean its okay for our family.

Immediately, I could see the great concern in both of their eyes. I think they were anticipating some type of punishment coming to the kid (that never came). After 2 or 3 minutes of no success, the mom apologized in totally overwhelmed & fed up tone & literally dragged her kid to the next aisle.

"He's making bad choices, Mommy. He needs a spanking", said Aidann. Asher started pointing at where the boy had been standing saying, "No, no...". I then took the opportunity to explain the situation to Aidann & Asher. I think they understood as much as a 1 year old & 2 year old could. It's going to take a few times for them to completely grasp this concept, but it is very important on my behalf to continue making an effort to teach them none the less. Not all families are the same & that is okay, BUT it is also as equally important that they understand there are so things accpetable & not acceptable in our family.

-M&M Momma




No comments:

Post a Comment