Friday, February 14, 2014

Reaching Outside Ourselves

My 5 year old daughter just recently informed me that her favorite thing about this whole world is "sharing". I was definitely touched.

In society today, it is so easy to get caught up in the hustle & bustle of our own life & families that we can sometimes forget just how important it is to take the time to reach outside of ourselves & think about others. Not just think about others even, but genuinely care about them, form relationships, & invest in them. "Clicks", "Us 4 & no more", & other similar attitudes are just not beneficial & neither is letting insecurities hold us back from stepping out of our comfort zones or excuses like not having enough time. If we let these things stand in our way, we are robbing ourselves out of meeting some really wonderful people that can enrich our lives in some beautiful ways.

I know personally there are some days where after taking care of just the daily to-do that goes into trying to maintain a household, raise 5 kiddos, nurture my marriage, & take care of myself-I just don't see how there is any "free-time" leftover for very much else. But don't we all find a way & make a way for the things that really matter to us? I think reaching out to people should be 1 of these things. We all can benefit each other & teach other something.

In these times it is sad to say it, but when you go to the park, a story time at the library, or almost any social setting you will see people everywhere on their phones checking Facebook, chatting, or texting away instead of taking full advantage of living in the present & making every moment they are in count. It is just beyond easy to do. I personally love taking pictures all of the time....shocker......but more often I am trying to remind myself to snap those golden shots that I want to remember for a lifetime, but then put down the camera & get fully immersed in the moment. Its become too easy to get distracted with easy access to the internet & us constantly having our phones right there on hand. With exception of during pump time, I make myself put the phone away. We have to. Not only am I talking about getting off that park bench to push your kid on the swing or sitting down to read them a new book at the library, but I am also talking about meeting new people & investing in new relationships.

Now are we going to get burned from time to time? ABSOLUTELY, but we can't let those times rob us from every stepping out & being a lil' vulnerable again. I am also not saying to go out & be everyone's best friend, but we can be willing to meet new people.

Its a great thing to model for our children as well. I don't know why, but it seems like once kids hit that age SIX, "clicks" & not wanting to let new people into their "group" starts becoming some sort of thing. Especially with lil' girls. I definitely do not want my kids being that way at all. I want them to go against the norm & be more accepting of different & new people & show them what friendship & love should be all about. Again, I am not saying I want them to be doormats & let people walk all over them, accept them & play with them even if they are rude & treat you like dirt, but in general I hope to raise kind & social children.

Life isn't about competing, playing "keeping up with the Joneses", judging people, or living inside our own plastic bubbles. Its about doing things for others & not always expecting something in return. Its about sending someone a random text or phone call to check & see how they are doing because you knew they were going through something or you just haven't seen them in awhile. Its just giving someone a friendly wave or smile even if you have never seen them before in your life. Its about reaching outside of ourselves.

Well, now that it is officially Valentine's Day & I am running off 2 hours of sleep, I think I am going to call it a night! Have a wonderful "Love Day"!

Happy "Love Day" from the A2Z Team

-M&M Momma

Exercising RAK with your kiddos is a great way to help them starting thinking about others.




Valentine's theme story time










Zye is SO intrigued
by the balloons




1st Valentine's Day!







Let's celebrate!



Heart shaped marshmallow



Buddies











Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment