Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Project: "School Room Reno"


So, "Project School Reno" is still in full swing. I am a lil' disapointed by this because I am the type of person who likes everything done in like 1 day. BUT paint takes time to dry, packages usually do not arrive overnight, &"wrenches"/kinks are bound to come up. Well, although my ROME was not built in a day, I am happy to report that we are almost done. I have a few more diy projects on my plate, but soon enough we will be home free!

Tonight, I finshed the kiddos reading nook. Before starting the school room project, I did lots of research. I did not want the room to be crowded, but I definitely was in need of a lot of storage options. One day I came across an awesome solution (involving IKEA, 1 of my favorites) on Pinterest ("I Heart Organizing" blog)....



I was immediately "obsessed" & decided this is what I just had to have in my school room. Well, after really thinking about what was needed in a educational area, I soon realized that this bright idea was going to sadly take up way too much space & it was still not enough storage (The kids literally have accumulated like 3,000 books already!?!? But I LOVE it!). I soon decided to look once again to 1 of my favorite storage solution stores for some ideas. I finally decided that HUGE bookshelves were going to have to be in this school room for everyhting to fit in a flattering manner. But what about the reading area? An entertainment system!!!

Via IKEA (of course)

What I decided to do was take the 2 shelves and place them on the left & the right of the only window in the room & then I would only buy the tv unit & use it as a seat instead of television stand. I thought all my "problems" were solved & gave myself a big pat on the back until we went to pick these 3 items up from IKEA. The tv unit was too high off the ground for the kiddos to easily climb up & down. Adding a cushion to it would only make the feet that much more difficult. But suddenly in the middle of IKEA paradise, I had an epiphany! I would use that small upper shelf as a seat instead! It was the perfect height for the ladies & it still offered some great storage. All I would need to do was add a cushion, some stylish pillows, & BAM!

Well, tonight was the night for this lil' diy project. I followed the basic directions that same organizing blog had from the idea I had originally found. I went with a cute fabric I found that had numbers spelled out in cursive. I found it to be elegant, but also a slick nod to the fact this was a school room. The fabric was white though (very sheer), & so I doubled it up on the cushion. I could have bought white fabric to go under it, but I liked how it looked having the cursive faintly show, kind of double, from underneath.

Well, I just thought I would share this awesome solution for a school room or just a playroom, too fun!!! Hoping to get the finished project of the entire education room up soon :)

-M&M Momma

Trip to IKEA







My lil' helper!




And she is OUT!







Enjoying ice cream in IKEA bibs
BEST BIBS EVER





You would think I asked them to strike these
poses, but NO. ALL natural. Ha ha


My foam carriers


The material





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment