Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't Knock It

I have heard many people without kids knock the "childproof home". True that socket protectors, toilet locks, & baby gates at every turn may not be the "new sexy" for households, but these lil' things save lives. I am by no means suggesting that every area of the house look like a McDonald's playground without a grown-up item in sight, but I will say that you might be kind of surprised by how many everyday house items can cause lil' ones injuries or even be deadly. "Household injuries are one of the top reasons kids under age 3 visit the ER, and nearly 70% of the children who die from unintentional injuries at home are 4 years old and under" (Kids Health).
My father is a children's RN & my husband is a firefighter & it is simply amazing to me how many kids come in for injuries by the most unexpected things! 1 of Jay's calls on duty was for a kid that got stuck in his cat's climbing house....Yes, that 1 sounds kind of funny, but they literally had to saw the kid out of there! I mean, pools, televisions, toilets, washers & dryers, shelves, chemicals, & the list could go on for miles and miles! Lets  not go crazy, but lets at least do our part to prevent potential accidents as much as possible.
I have a few child safe zones in my house that are fenced in. I know that every toy in that area is not a choking hazard, all window pulled cords out of sight, all plugs are plugged up, constant floor & toy inspections, & so forth. Around the whole house I have cabinet locks, gates, toilet locks, doorknob protectors, a high bolt lock so they can't open front door, all shelves everywhere bolted into the wall along with all televisions, & a few other precautions. Even with all these steps I have taken, they will still be kids, but with my husband & I's watchful eye I know that they are pretty safe & want others that come over to my house with kiddos to feel the same way. As I said we still have some areas around the house that have a few adult items in view, but for now we have lil' toddlers & for their safety I am willing to sacrifice a lil' bit. I love those lil' ones!
-M&M Momma
Helping me fold

Busy...

Stuck...


Sister love



She was growling
& eating the toy tree...?

"Oh, brother"


Bet ya can't tell
they dressed
themselves...







Sleeping lol...




No comments:

Post a Comment