Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Wanna Fly Away!

For 1 of our mini lessons of the day we talked about transformation/metamorphosis. I touched on the process of change frogs go through, but we primarily focused on caterpillars changing into butterflies for this 1st day.

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar" is the best way I could think of to begin this unit! After reading this very fun story, I asked the girls to "Get out their own caterpillars!". The looked at me a lil' confused at 1st, but then I pulled out my pointer finger & made it begin to "crawl" like a caterpillar would. The ladies followed along & we acted out the process of metamorphosis with finger play. Our caterpillars crawled, ate...ate...& ate some more, built cocoons, & then transformed into butterflies! After the finger play, the girls watched a time-lapsed video of the life of a monarch butterfly. Aidann & Asher loved it, but Austin gave me the most priceless face full of bewilderment as she watched---lol. Butterfly Video


After the video, we did an art project to depict the 3 main steps of transformation. First, we made caterpillars out of egg cartons. The girls colored them with markers, selected pipe cleaner antennas, & glued on googley eyes. The next step that we depicted were the cocoons. We made a branch out of Popsicle sticks & then glued on cocoons. For the final step we made butterflies out of construction paper, pipe cleaners, & googley eyes. We are going to make coffee filter butterflies next, which I highly recommend doing. Coffee Filter Butterfly

Overall, the girls enjoyed the unit & I think even lil' Aussie Rose took something away from it :)!

-M&M Momma






Aidann's very hungry caterpillar!















Goofy!



 
 






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment